Sunday, March 8, 2009

BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO MOURN

Matthew 5:3-4
"Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted."


God is so good. He always shows us His way. Often, as people who are used to seeking help from people, we invariably turn to people for the kind of help that only God can give. This is our human nature. It's only when we learn through hard experience that help from people is always limited because only the Lord knows the precise shape and size of the hole in us. Only when we know that only He can provide the piece of help and comfort and counsel that fits the shape and size of the the hole in our souls that we eventually run to Him first, whenever we have a need.

Jesus allows us to mourn.

Yesterday, I attended a grief counselling workshop, by mistake (but then, nothing ever really happens as a mistake!). It was a most enriching experience. It was for those who have suffered a recent loss of a loved one. When I was in the room I could feel the grief in some of the people there. I thank God for such a ministry where people who are really in the midst of their grief can go to mourn and be understood!

I learnt that when a sudden loss occurs, there is the primary loss that comes from losing the loved one; but there are also secondary losses associated with losing the benefits of that relationship. For example, the widow may lose the income of the former husband. She may also lose his help in the house, like paying the bills and ferrying the children to school and tuition. During the period of loss and adjustment, the emptiness and void and helplessness is so real.

But praise God, they do have a period of mourning and adjustment, taking stock and realigning, with help from mentors. Most importantly, they learn to look to God as their counsellor and comforter.

But I came away from the workshop feeling like there is much loss in my life that I've yet to mourn over. I did not suffer a sudden loss. However, as I have learnt to be poor in spirit, in a humble attitude before God, I see the many holes in my soul.

I lost my grandparents and my mother lost her parents when she was a newborn. That was a huge loss that left lots of big holes in her life that were passed right down to us--at least, to me, as her only daughter. (I cannot speak for my brothers, especially as we had a great father!)

My mother's being orphaned, and having no mothering, left no proper model for her or for me. So between the time I was a teenager growing up into adulthood and the time I was saved and provided with spiritual re-mothering, there were lots of holes that had not been properly filled. But oh yes, the holes had been temporarily filled--by me, in my own wisdom and strength.

In the hole of self-esteem, I had filled it with my own career pathway that would have led me to stardom, if the Lord had not interferred.

In the hole of self-abasement, I had filled with good works that would earn me affirmation and approval all around.

And I won't tell you any more of the other holes....

Anyway, just as Issac redigged his wells (Gen 26:17-23), so I had wells to re-dig. I had to dig up all that mud and stones and debris that I had filled the holes in my soul with. And when I did, fresh water was there.

So this morning, I re-dug one of those wells. It was an important relationship that had been broken. I brought a brother to the Lord, and confessed to Him about how I had invariably affected his life by giving him the wrong kind of stuff to fill his soul with when I tried to help in my own wisdom and strength. Sadly, this wrong kind of remedy or help had affected him all these years!

Praise God, He is truly the comforter. God is true to His Word!

"BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO MOURN, THEY WILL BE COMFORTED."


God's comfort came in the form of peace, and the promise of restoration from His Word, that the later years of my brother's life will be far greater than his former years!!! Can you beat that??? THAT IS COMFORT!!!

Indeed, every hole in our life will be filled and what's more, we know how to point others, confidently, to the Comforter.

Whatever loss, whether recent, or long-lost but not redeemed, He can do it. And we can re-dig holes that we have filled in our own strength and wisdom--which we will invariably do, as it is in our human nature to do this--and expose these old holes to the Lord. As we re-dig, there will be some pain and mourning over the loss, as if it is a fresh wound, since it is exposed afresh. When God does the filling this time around, it is completely healed. His grace is poured on us. His comfort comes to us. His peace reigns in our hearts. His promises keeps us confident and full of praise for Him.

We move on like Mount Zion which cannot be shaken.

Such is the comfort God gives those who mourn...

Blessed, indeed, are those who mourn....

1 comment:

  1. A beautiful sharing. You come across so vividly and seem so close. I hope mare will be able to read this...

    ReplyDelete